Skip to main content

Sneaky Deception vs. Fair Market Research


I just read an awesome post over at Sparkliatti that I could not help but share with my readers. Sparkliatti is a blog headed up by San Francisco based celebrity event planner Sasha Souza, and she recently shared some inside info that many of us planners are all too familiar with: new/up-and-coming planners using sneaky tactics to uncover and copy established planners' business models/plans/prices. These newbies actually "shop" you and it can really get out of hand.

Here's Sasha's article (which deserves a big "AMEN" at the end):
Over the past few weeks, I've been shopped by other planners no less than twice - and those are the planners that I actually caught doing it. I have my suspicions on three other info requests as well which we are handling with kid gloves.

Let me give you a bit of advice regarding pricing both yourself and figuring out who is charging what...

It Does Not Matter What I Charge:
Why? Because YOU are not ME. Your experience is different, your personality is different, your wedding type is different. Basically we are all different. What I charge is what I charge and sometimes I get it and sometimes I do not, it's dependent on what the couple is looking for. I also only do 20 events per year and all partial service events are planned by my employees. It's just plain different - but I've setup my company MY WAY. Besides, why do you care?

People Will Not Hire YOU Based On Price Alone:
A lot more goes into booking a client including, but not limited to: the number of events you've done that are similar to the look/style they are looking for; credibility of you as a planner or designer - have they seen your work featured? Know the name? That often is the first reason why people call us, they know the name and want the service associated with the name.

Where Are You Geographically?
This makes a difference - if you're shopping me at a destination wedding locale from either out of the country or someplace in middle America, the pricing will most likely be VERY DIFFERENT, and not even relevant to you.

It Makes You Look Sleazy:
And basically, we'll never speak again. I'm not into sneaky, rude or otherwise underhanded people in this business. I've been doing this long enough (15 years) to sniff out the good from the bad. I am not about to waste more of my time on people who have already wasted my time. Capiche?

Just Ask Me:
I can choose to answer you or not. That is my free will, but the chances are good I'll tell you straight up - unless you fall into the sleazy planner/designer category above.

I'm A Pretty Good Detective:
Not going to tell you how I find out, but just know - we're pretty savvy over here and have been shopped by some of the best & most renowned planners/designers in the business (you know who you are) and even they can't believe I figured it out. So, just remember...

Sneaky So, How Do You Figure Out What To Charge?
It's simple, figure out how much you want to make in a year, divide it by the number of events you want to do and that is a good starting point. Then, with experience, you will find that not every client is YOUR client and being middle of the road isn't necessarily where you want to be. The old adage about coming in the middle of pricing, like a contractor, only makes you mediocre. Do you want to be mediocre?

It does not matter to me what my peers are making in their pricing. I know I don't want to have the events that they do, those are not my parties. There is security in that and in knowing that I am always who I am and if they want somebody else...best wishes for a wonderful wedding to them.
A note I'd like to add to all brides-to-be: DO NOT shop any vendor, especially an event planner, based upon price alone. Each vendor's prices are based on aspects of their business you'll probably never be able to uncover. If their prices are low, they could just be undercutting their more experienced competition...hoping you'll sign with them based on pricing alone. If their prices are high, this could be so because of high overhead and/or marketing they're responsible for maintaining or their experience simply warrants a higher price tag. DO YOUR RESEARCH, ASK QUESTIONS, HOLD EACH VENDOR ACCOUNTABLE. When shopping an event planner specifically, ask him/her "how many events or weddings they've planned from start to finish" ... "what training he/she has had besides planning their own event/wedding or events/weddings for friends" ... "what sets he/she apart from the competition."  Also, look out for copycats.  Pay attention to planners who strive to be original and aren't riding someone else's coattails.
- - - - - - - - - -
by Rashana Anderson
Founder & Managing Director, THE BRIDAL PARTY

Comments

Onida Cruz said…
Thanks for sharing. Love the new look of the blog.

Popular posts from this blog

"Farm Sweet Farm" 1st Birthday Party

My husband and I celebrated our baby twins, Jonah & Gia's, 1st birthday with a "Farm Sweet Farm" party last weekend.  The party was held at our home (aka The Anderson Farm ) and our closest family and friends excitedly attended.  Honestly it's still difficult for us to believe a full year has gone by since they entered our lives, but one thing was clear from the beginning --- we had a lot to celebrate and we intended to do just that! Everyone had loads of fun; they would've partied until the cows came home if we let them.  And since the guests of honor LOVE animals, the theme proved to be absolutely perfect for them and their guests.  To most, I'm known for planning amazing weddings and bridal celebrations by means of THE BRIDAL PARTY , so it was really a lot of fun to step outside of my comfort zone and show off my versatility and range.  I can't deny, this was FUN!  I'm still quite "giddy" about it all. * * * * * * * * * * INVITA

scam (skām): A fraudulent business scheme

Y esterday, I received my first wedding scam attempt (guess my latest marketing and advertising efforts are starting to work). I received an email from an "Irish" bride-to-be whose fiance was offered a job in the U.S. and needed help planning a small wedding in New Jersey. I vaguely remembered hearing of certain swindle attempts on wedding vendors (especially photographers and videographers), so my radar peaked immediately, however, I didn't jump to any conclusions right away. I responded to the email, drew up a preliminary proposal, quoted cost of service and submitted an invoice for payment. Nonetheless, when it became apparent that the bride-to-be and her French fiance only intended on mailing a cashier's check, I knew right away what I was dealing with ... a scam! I happen to know that international cashier's checks are not fully validated for 90 days. So even though the check may clear at first, if found to be phony, the money is later deducted. I must say, i

Aidan & Jonathan: Enchanted Forest

We shared snapshots of our Enchanted Forest wedding just four days ago and somehow, SOMEWAY, professional photos became available last night!  (an unbelievable world record ... calling Guinness after the holiday) As mentioned before, we were brought on to plan and execute this wedding just 3 months out, at which time 90% of the vendors and service providers had not been selected.  But I must say, we couldn't have had a better team of professionals bring this event to life if we'd started a year ago.   The ceremony was held in the evening on the outdoor patio of Stone House at Stirling Ridge in Warren, NJ.  On this brisk mid-November night, our teams successfully achieved a loving and warm ambiance by having clear tent wall covered by swags of 21-foot long fabric hung on the outer perimeter of the space.  This treatment allowed for the bride's dream of being married near nature but also kept the couple's beloved friends and family comfortable.  A blooming birch-b