I'm working with a couple planning a late-October wedding who've chosen to design their event based upon the theme, "Vintage Romance." Now, any busy wedding planner will tell you...nowadays anything "vintage" is all the rage with brides-to-be. But exactly what does it mean? The truth is, it means lots of things. Just take a look at what dictionary.com says:
1. the wine from a particular harvest or crop.
2. the annual produce of the grape harvest, esp. with reference to the wine obtained.
3. an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year.
4. the time of gathering grapes, or of winemaking.
5. the act or process of producing wine; winemaking.
6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage.
7. of or pertaining to wines or winemaking.
8. being of a specified vintage: Vintage wines are usually more expensive than nonvintage wines.
9. representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage movies.
10. old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.
11. being the best of its kind: They praised the play as vintage O'Neill.
–verb (used with object)
12. to gather or harvest (grapes) for wine-making: The muscats were vintaged too early.
13. to make (wine) from grapes: a region that vintages a truly great champagne.
–verb (used without object)
14. to harvest grapes for wine-making.
Told ya! The word has many meanings, which allows any bride-to-be having a "vintage" wedding to interpret it anyway she pleases. Have fun with it, girls!
As for my "Vintage Romance" bride, planning is well under say. Arrangements for a live swing band have already been made. Specialty lighting, linens and rentals are pending. And where decor is concerned, we've decided to build an ambiance of candlelight and infuse Autumn hues of eggplant and pistachio. This will be a truly magnificient event. I couldn't be more excited! Here's my first inspiration board for this couple's nuptials.
- - - - - - - - - -
By Rashana Anderson
Founder & Managing Director, THE BRIDAL PARTY